Background

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A goal without a plan is just a wish.

     After a chaotic holiday filled with long car trips, visits from the family, and TONS of food, I think now is a great time to reset our habits and routines. Improve upon the healthy ones, and ditch whatever isn't helping you toward your goals. I think most people have the best of intentions when they make a list of New Year's Resolutions (as they do with diets) but very few come up with detailed plans on how to achieve (or maintain) these "goals." Whatever your goals or resolutions are for this year, don't forget to make a plan.

     One goal I have (a "wish" of mine for several years) is to maintain a primarily grain-free/sugar-free/dairy-free diet. I've tried and failed the 21-day Sugar Detox. I'll admit I was pretty unprepared for just how horrible I would feel after only ONE day. I've posted before about how sneaky and unrelenting an addiction to carbohydrates can be, and my brief experience with trying to shake it was proof enough for me that it was time to gain control of what I was putting into my body.

     While I don't know if I can physically handle something as extreme as a detox right now, I am still committed to ridding myself of this dependence. I've looked into trying the Whole30, a similar (short-term) plan intended to help reset your palate and stanch your cravings. The main difference for me (aside from the obviously longer time table) is that the Whole 30 is not quite as restrictive of fruits. While meals should be mainly comprised of lean proteins and vegetables, fruits are not... forbidden. (Sorry. I couldn't help myself.)

     I will be doing my grocery shopping today and meal prepping tomorrow, so Thursday will be Day 1. If anyone is interested in joining me, here are some helpful links:

Whole30 shopping list:
http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

Whole30 meal-planning template:
http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Whole30 forum:
http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/5-the-whole30-program/

Whole30 Daily (paid subscription)
https://daily.whole9life.com/signups/new

No comments:

Post a Comment