Background

Sunday, January 13, 2013

REVIEW: MilkMakers Lactation Cookies

From milkmakers.com


     Breastfeeding mama confession: I have never had supply issues, but about 3 months ago, J-Bean decided she wanted to nurse exclusively on my right breast. When I initially noticed this becoming an issue, I began to pump and hand express my left to keep up supply (and more importantly, symmetry.) Of course, I kept trying to get her to nurse on both sides, but it soon became clear that she was just not interested and I all but gave up on poor Lefty.

     Fast-forward to last month and I am chatting with the lovely ladies at my local cloth diaper store. I mentioned that I blog, and before I left, I was given a MilkMakers lactation cookie to review. I go into all of my reviews a skeptic, and this was no exception. But, let me tell you... I definitely noticed an increase in my supply, especially on the left side. Was it my imagination? Maybe. But more than likely, it was actually the natural galactagogues. (I learned that word from the manager at Mami's and Papi's! She is the local LLL leader.)

     From the MilkMakers website:
What's a galactagogue?
Lactation cookies are a traditional lactation remedy. Our recipe uses oats, brewers yeast and flax seed. These are natural galactagogues, which means that they help promote an abundant supply of breastmilk.
If you're in need of a breastmilk boost, try eating one to two delicious lactation cookies every day. While every woman's body is different, most moms notice an increase in their milk supply after a few days.
Store milkmakers in the freezer to maintain freshness. They'll soften up after just a few minutes when you take them out.

     If you are in need of a boost (and you don't enjoy the maple syrup smell side effect of taking Fenugreek) MilkMakers cookies are a pretty darn tasty option! You can order one of two flavors: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip (which I tasted and can TOTALLY vouch for, especially when dunked in coconut milk. *drool*) and Oatmeal Raisin, which is dairy-free.

Ordering options:
- Starter pack (10 cookies, $19.99)
- Mom on-the-go (20 individually wrapped cookies, $39.99)
- One month supply (30 cookies, $49.99)
- Monthly subscription ($49.99 monthly, FREE shipping)

     With any order aside from the Starter Pack, you can choose one flavor or a combination of both. With your One Month Supply or Monthly Subscription, you can also choose bags, individually wrapped cookies (great for throwing in the diaper bag), or a combination of both.

The fine print:
* Each cookie is 220-230 calories. Factor that into your daily intake if you are still trying to shake those last few lbs of baby weight. Luckily, they are organic and fairly healthy calories.
* If you have allergies, these may not work for you. Both recipes contain wheat, soy, and eggs. However, the Oatmeal Raisin recipe is dairy-free, both are nut-free, and gluten-free options may be available in the future.
* Yes, you can make them yourself. There are recipes floating around the internet for lactation cookies that include the "milk-making" ingredients (oats, flax seed, and brewer's yeast) but some of us cannot bake cookies worth crap (or just don't have the time) and brewer's yeast can be expensive and hard to find.

Conclusion:
     If you're struggling to maintain a supply or plan to go back to work, order a Starter Pack in your preferred flavor and see what happens. At the very least, you'll be treating yourself to a couple yummy cookies a day. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment