Background

Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Moment of Weakness


Hi, my name is Kiersten and I am addicted to designer handbags. This particular bag almost did me in yesterday. As I was waiting for Plato's Closet (we'll get to that in a second) to evaluate the four bags of clothing I brought to them, I stopped by TJMaxx which was conveniently located two stores down. I was only there to look, but this B. Makowsky had other plans for me. I normally avoid the rows of more expensive bags, because I wouldn't pay for them even at the outlet price. BUT! This gorgeous, roomy, buttery soft, genuine Italian leather bag (in my favorite color, mind you) was on CLEARANCE! It was marked down to $80.
So the bargaining began. "I can get rid of another purse, so it wouldn't be accumulating." "This doesn't count as clutter, it's useful!" "I'll come back after Plato's Closet pays me. Then I'm not really spending any money." Once I recognized the symptoms of my addiction, I knew I needed help resisting temptation. I called on my Facebook friends to talk me down. (Great job, by the way.) And that was it. Do I still desire this bag? Heck yes, it's gorgeous! But it doesn't fit into my ultimate plan and it would be a step back in the decluttering process. So, as far as I know, it is still sitting on the clearance rack at the TJMaxx in the Gaitway Plaza waiting for some thrifty fashionista to fall in love with it.

Plato's Closet... I have a love/hate relationship with this place. I feel like their prices are fair. (I got $45 for 8 pieces of clothing yesterday.) The problem is that they are SO picky! I went in with four bags of clothes yesterday and walked out with 3 1/2 to then drop off at Goodwill. I went in last week and walked out with everything, because apparently I am an 80-year-old woman and my style is "too mature." Pssh. OK. But I see it this way: I have already committed to tossing out whatever I bring to them, so what do I have to lose?

I love donating clothes because they take up so much space, and once they're gone I feel so relieved that I don't have to wash, dry, fold, pack, or unpack any of these items ever again. Your mission, if you choose to accept it (is that phrase trademarked?) is to donate at least one bag of clothing this week. There must be something you own that is just too big, too small, too old, or too worn out to take up anymore space in your closet. So why let it?

No comments:

Post a Comment