Background

Thursday, August 9, 2012

My Attempt at a Sugar Detox

My diet has been appalling. I'm not going to lie. And that makes me feel like such a hypocrite because I know what I'm eating is horrible for me. It's shameful, but I feel like I need to be honest. I've eaten two waffles with syrup and butter for breakfast every morning for the past three days. I've also polished off half a bag of Doritos. I'm staying with my parents for a few days because I have family visiting from out of state, so I'm out of my element. I obviously haven't done any grocery shopping, and since we have company, we've been eating "convenience foods" all weekend. Last night I had a peanut butter sandwich for dinner.



After my daughter was born, I lost about 15 lbs. right away. I haven't lost anything since then and I've actually gained weight. It needs to stop. This is pretty much a diet emergency, so it calls for an extreme fix. Right now, I am working on putting together a menu for a 21-day sugar detox. So far, I have breakfast figured out. I can eat the same thing every day (thanks to that "living uncomfortably" plan) so I will be eating egg muffins every morning. I'd love to get the official 21 Day Sugar Detox eBook, but I am working on not spending money, so I will put together my menu from this blog post instead. Then, when I make my next $21, that download is so happening. I'm thinking I will make ahead some of these Bison BLTs. If I can make breakfast and lunch for the week, I should be set.
I can make the following excuses:
I don't have time to shop or cook.
I have a baby to take care of.
I can't afford groceries.
I hurt my toe.

Don't ask about that last one, but these excuses are all true. Unfortunately, so are the following facts, if I continue to eat this way:
I will gain more weight.
I will feel sick and lethargic.
I will set myself up for long-term health problems like diabetes and heart disease.

So, I will take the same advice I offered a couple days ago because it applies to our dietary choices as well. It's time to act like a grown-up and make responsible decisions. It won't be fun or easy, but it's better than a future of immobility, pharmaceuticals, and insulin dependence. This starts now.

4 comments:

  1. Check out www.paleotable.com. Awesome recipes as well as planned menu's. It's one of my go to sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Paleo Table! :) I agree, they are an awesome resource.

      Delete
  2. Good luck girl! I've definitely considered doing something like this.. I am a bonafide sugar addict. I look forward to reading about your progress. :) -Elizabeth W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to share. I'll be pre-making my breakfast and lunch meals tomorrow.

      Delete