Background

Sunday, May 12, 2013

35 Things I Need to Thank My Mom For

Mom, I want you to know just how much I appreciate everything you've done for me. Ever. Plus, it's not really in my SAHM budget to send flowers and chocolate and I don't think all of this would fit on a card. So, just a quick recap. Thank you for:

  1. Changing my diapers. Especially the poopy ones. And cleaning up the messes that somehow made it out of the diaper and onto the crib. And the walls. And my clothes...
  2. Brushing my hair, even when I complained about it being tangled.
  3. Humoring my inner supermodel as a tot and taking hundreds of pictures of me in silly poses and ridiculous outfits.
  4. Taking me to swimming lessons, even though I was always scared to put my head under water.
  5. Putting up with my impatience while you tried to teach me to write my letters (and then algebra, and chemistry, and calculus and physics.)
  6. Laying with me at night until I fell asleep, especially since I'm sure you had Important things to do.
  7. Making me jelly rolls for lunch. On flat bread. With the crusts cut off. 
  8. Keeping up with my constant flip-flopping on the topic of spaghetti sauce.
  9. Taking care of me when I was sick. Even when I had the pukey kind of strep throat in fourth grade.
  10. Not killing me when I finger painted the whole back porch and thought I could clean it up with my Alex Mack super powers. (Note to readers: I do not have Alex Mack super powers.)
  11. While we're on it, thank you for not killing me when I cut my brother's hair or pierced his ear. With scissors. 
  12. Providing the security of a safe and loving childhood home. I never once had to worry about the roof over my head, the clothes on my back, or the food on our table. Even though I'm sure there were times that you did.
  13. Driving me to cheerleading practice and spending all day every Saturday at the football stadium when Jeremy and I both had games.
  14. Coming to all of my awards assemblies and always encouraging to do my best in school.
  15. Understanding when "my best" wasn't perfect.
  16. Taking us to visit our grandparents every summer and Christmas. We always had the best time.
  17. Giving me more experiences than "things" growing up.
  18. Our family vacations to Disney. It really was the most magical place on Earth.
  19. Always loving my father and hugging and kissing in front of us. I learned what a healthy relationship should be like because I always had you two as an example.
  20. Taking me to see *NSYNC in middle school. I have a sneaking suspicion that you didn't share my enthusiasm for their musical talent.
  21. Not killing me when I hit puberty and became a raging drama queen.
  22. Forgiving me for every time I told you I hated you when I really just meant that I was angry about not getting what I wanted. 
  23. Our family road trip to DC and NYC. Getting to see Rent changed my life.
  24. Being supportive when I told you I wanted to be a Broadway superstar instead of getting a "real" degree. 
  25. Giving me your car so I could drive myself to the theatre. And concerts, even the ones in Orlando and Tampa.
  26. Being supportive when I decided journalism was the way to go instead.
  27. Buying me a car in college even though I totaled it three months later. (I still miss that car!)
  28. Taking care of me when I was sick. Even when I got mono at the end of my last Fall semester in college.
  29. Funding my study abroad trip to Europe. That is an experience I will never forget.
  30. Letting me make my own mistakes. And boy did I make some big ones...
  31. Helping me plan my wedding, but letting me make all of my own decisions.
  32. Being supportive of my marriage and loving my husband.
  33. Being in the delivery room when I was in labor with Josie. I couldn't have done it without you.
  34. Changing her diapers in the hospital and helping me with all of those "new mom" things when I had no earthly idea what to do.
  35. Loving my daughter. It means so much to me that she can have a relationship with you even from over 1000 miles away. 
My mom holding Josie minutes after her birth. May 8, 2012.


Most of all, thank you for giving me life and being the best mother, teacher, nurse, therapist, and friend I could ever ask for.


No comments:

Post a Comment