Background

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Four months already?


Dear Monkey,
     We're 1/3 of the way to your first birthday. Stop growing so fast! We saw the pediatrician on Thursday and you are 15lbs (75th percentile) and almost 24" (25th percentile) so you're a little short and a little chunky. I hate to break it to you kid, but I'm 5' 0" so you'll probably be short your whole life. It's not so bad. And you'll grow into those thunder thighs, I promise! You have a life full of fitness, health, and activity ahead of you, so while your genetics point to the possibility of being overweight as a teen and an adult, we won't let that happen.
     Well, I thought teaching high school came with a sharp learning curve, but you are putting my moody 17-year-old English students to shame! Every time I feel like we're getting into a routine, you change it up on me. Since I feed you on demand, you tell me whenever you're hungry, which apparently is every two hours. Even in the middle of the night! I'm going to have to buy some concealer to cover up the dark circles under my eyes. Since that is really the only complaint I have, I am going to count my blessings. Not every mommy is so lucky. And, really, is it so bad to have all that cuddle time with my little girl?
     I can already tell you are going to be too smart for your own good. Even at 18 weeks, I can't get anything past you! You are so alert and aware of your surroundings, it's a joy to watch you play. You flip the pages when Grandma reads you the peek-a-boo book, you grab everything in sight (and then of course, try to put it in your mouth), and you love blankies and toys that make crinkle noises. You've also discovered that you can make your own noises. You moved past blowing raspberries fairly quickly, and now you just prefer to screech whenever you get a chance. As long as you're happy while you're doing it, I don't mind. Every now and then, I'll catch you ranting and raving to Dolly (or really, any inanimate object who will listen) in a string of "da das" and "ba bas." Sometimes I wonder exactly what it is that you are saying, but I know soon enough you will tell me.
     It may not be a glamorous job all the time, especially after going 2-3 days without a shower and still smelling like dried spit-up. (You're welcome for the visual, by the way.) But it's my favorite job so far. I love being your mommy. I wouldn't trade you for anything in the world, baby girl.

<3, Mama

P.S. If you're wondering, I call you Monkey because of the silly noises you make when you get excited.

1 comment: